Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Specialties > Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems
Search Voltage Talk          

Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?

“CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!”

Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

Bryan Holland is on a distinguished road
DSL and Phone Problem

I recently went to a DSL internet service through my local phone company. My single phone line connects to the DSL modem at the computer. With the modem package, several in-line filters were provided for the phone connections. These are installed at the phone jacks.

For a day or two each month, when someone calls in, the phone rings once and disconnects. This occurs when both the internet is in use and when it is off.

I have not called the phone company (Embarq) as it only has occurred a few times and really doesn't bother me all that much. It doesn't appear to be effecting my internet connection.

Is this a common problem and something I need to look into? Is it an issue on the phone company side or mine?

Any advice would be great.
Old 12-29-2008 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Educator

Steve Dale is on a distinguished road
Default It's probably coming from the phone company (Embarg) side.

Bryan, It's probably coming from the phone company side. I was having all kinds of trouble with the Vonage VoIP system when they first came to market. Now there system works fine, but you have to have the bandwidth or the conversation can become broken. If it continues I would call Embarg and speak to technical service. Let us know what you find out because others may experience the same trouble and your solution may help them. Steve
Contributing Member

GregS is on a distinguished road

Um, from what I read, Embarq is your phone company. You have a POTS phone line with DSL on it.. Correct?

For a day (a 24 hour period) when any call comes in, the line rings once and then hangs up. Doesn't matter who has called.

Is this happening on a day when it's raining? Is your line brought to the house with an aerial drop or underground?

Do you notice anything else common with all the days that it's not working?

Do you have a fax machine or some other device that may be picking up the line? Alarm system with a line seizure?

Next time it happens, unplug all the telephone devices you have in the home. Then plug a regular telephone into a single jack*. Dial yourself with your cell phone and see if it still happens. If it does, contact your phone provider. If it doesn't, you most likely have an issue with a piece of equipment in your home.

* - Use your demarcation jack if you have one.

TouchToneTommy is on a distinguished road

You're describing a "ring-trip" condition on your line.

First clear up something. You still have dial tone being provided by the phone company, and the package of filters included one that has a pigtail to plug into the wall jack, then has 2 jack, one for the DSL modem and the other for the telephone? The rest of the filters are just pigtails and jacks to be put inline with the other phones in the house? Yes?

A ring-trip is caused by a high resistance short from Tip to Ring, either on the phone company's side or on your side of the loop. It's not a dead short, which would make your line busy to callers and dead to you, but low enough that when the 90VAC ringing somes in, it will shunt the voltage and "answer" the call.

When it is happening, go to the demarc, disconnect your inside wiring from the telco, and call your number from your cell. If it trips, the problem is on the phone company side. If it doesn't happen until you reconnect the inside wire, you need to start disconnecting phones one at a time until the trouble clears.
Old 12-30-2008 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

Bryan Holland is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the comments. They are very helpful!
Old 01-13-2009 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum

mark is on a distinguished road

Tommy is right on with this one.
Old 04-18-2012 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum

KennyDalglish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DSL and Phone Problem

Hello all,

Thanks for sharing your valuable suggestion, Really I am highly appreciated.

Best regards
KennyDalglish
Old 10-12-2014 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum

sami789 is on a distinguished road

A ring-trip is caused by a high resistance short from Tip to Ring, either on the phone company's side or on your side of the loop. It's not a dead short, which would make your line busy to callers and dead to you, but low enough that when the 90VAC ringing somes in, it will shunt the voltage and "answer" the call.
Old 07-15-2015 - DSL and Phone Problem - Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Systems - Voltage Talk forum

MarkLyon is on a distinguished road

This is probably the most common error that you can easily fix on your own. If you are have anything plugged into a phone jack in your house, and do not have a dedicated jack for your DSL modem (also called a splitter jack), you will need to use DSL filters. A filter allows your DSL connection to work at the same time as other devices that are plugged into phone jacks in your house. Basically, they stop the DSL signal from going to those devices. Common devices that will use phone jacks are landline telephones, alarm systems, home alert systems and satellite receivers.