Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Specialties > Lighting Systems - General > Outdoor Lighting Systems
Search Voltage Talk          

Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?

“CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!”

Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

RICK WALLACE is on a distinguished road
Default Noma low voltage led bulbs

JUST INSTALLED A NOMA LED OUTDOOR SYSTEM IN A GARDEN AREA OF OUR HOME.
SYSTEM WORKS FINE, BUT I'M DISAPPOINTED WITH THE LOW AMOUNT OF LIGHT PUT OUT BY THE BULBS THAT CAME WITH THE SYSTEM.
NONE OF THE SUPPLIERS I'VE TALKED TO SEEM TO HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION RE: THE BULBS AVAILABLE FOR THIS SYSTEM, NEITHER DOES THE DISTRIBUTOR. MY QUESTION IS WHETHER ANYONE KNOWS IF I CAN GET A BRIGHTER LED BULB TO INSTALL IN THIS SYSTEM. I HAVE LOTS OF TRANSFORMER CAPACITY BUT WOULD LIKE TO LIGHT THE YARD UP A LITTLE MORE WITHOUT INSTALLING MORE LIGHTS. LIGHT THAT I HAVE NOW IS 2-PRONGED HEAVY CLEAR PLASTIC. THE END AWAY FROM THE PRONGS CAN BE PED OFF(?) AND THE WHOLE THING LOOKS LIKE AN OLD MINIATURE RADIO TUBE WITH A POINTED END. anybody help?....
rick wallace
Old 07-18-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

OscarWelch is on a distinguished road

Rick, we are low voltage licenced contractors in Florida. It is difficult to know what product you have. In an attempt to give you and answer I looked for NOMA LED garden Lighting on the web and couldn't find one that requires a transformer. Most are solar. If the fixtures you have are lamped with a replaceable lamp (bulb) then write to the manufacturer and find out a source. If by chance they are MR-16 style LEDs then you will be able to find some of those at the low voltage distributor near you. The company that seems to have the best MR-16 LED is Ushio. Try looking here: http://www.ushio.com/ I have seen these in a demo but have not yet installed them. They run at least $65 a piece. Be sure your fixtures can accept them. Many LED products are a permanent part of the fixture. When they go you replace the fixture. Good luck hope it helps.
OW
Old 07-19-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Educator

Steve Dale is on a distinguished road
Info Noma LED Lights

Rick, I believe you are referring to the Noma Eco-Bright LED Lights and the Westinghouse 1/2 watt 12 volt DC Bi-Pin Base 3 LED bulb. There are many Bi-Pin based light bulbs on the market, most of them unidirectional, meaning they project their light in one direction, which usually is out the top of the bulb. In the Noma Eco-Bright LED Landscape Garden Lights I believe you'll need an omni-directional bulb. There are light emitting diode (LED), halogen, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs with the Bi-Pin base configuration. The problem you have in replacing this LED bulb with a higher wattage LED bulb, is first you have to be sure that the same separation (width) and diameter (pin thickness) exist between the base pins replacement bulb and the existing bulb. Additional, the power transformer only outputs 10 watts which works fine for the existing LED bulbs which only draw .5 watts per light fixture, but most higher watt LED or halogen bulbs draw substantial more current and paralleling (aka "spidering" in the landscaping lighting world) several of these fixtures together would under-power the bulb dramatically effecting the life of the bulb as well as the light intensity.

Noma Eco-Bright LED Light

Westinghouse 1/2 watt 12 volt DC Bi-Pin Base 3 LED bulb

700044 12VDC .5 watt 3-LED White (Replaces 70041 .375W 3-LED lamp)

You can find replacement bulbs - Westinghouse 1/2 watt 12 volt DC Bi-Pin Base LED bulb by clicking here: Store 1 or Store 2.

Here are some unidirectional LED Bi-Pin based bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/bi-pin.html

The below bulb might work for you if the pins width match, but they are pricey and you'll need to insure the power supply can properly power them. Obviously, its probably cheaper to go with a new set of halogen or directional LED lights which will provide more intensity:
MR11 21 LED Light Low voltage 12 Volt AC/DC Product Code: 43532 Price: $9.99 Quantity Pricing Available 40 Lumen output. 10W Halogen equivalent. 1 Watt power consumption. 70 mA current consumption. White 6500K or warm white 3000K. 30,000 hour life. 50 Degree viewing angle. GX4.0 base. Operating voltage 12V AC/DC. 1.36" diameter x 1.6" height.
Old 07-30-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
JohnW
(Please Register It's FREE!)

I just wanted to thank you for this bit of information. I had searched everywhere to find a replacement bulb for one of my Norma lights. I was ready to pitch them away. The bulbs were expensive but it saved me money and effort instead of replacing the rest of them. They work ok but I would not buy them again, pretty dime like the other guy said. BTW nice forum you all have here keep up the good work!
Old 10-05-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

JSLDesign & Integra Works is on a distinguished road

There is a lot of junk on the market when it comes to LV LED Lamps. Many offerings are not designed or intended for general illumination. Colour and intensity are often very poor.

I have spent the better part of the last 3 years researching and using pro grade LED lamps in my lighting systems. I now produce my own line of LED MR16 and G4 Bi-Pin lamps and these are now available on my site www.ledlightsdirect.com

You will find the coolest running, long lasting, high intensity, warm white lamps there. We are now working on a T5 Wedge, S8 SCB, and a 35W MR16 equivalent.

Any questions or need for full specifications just ask.
LED Lights Direct Inc.

www.integralighting.com
www.ledlightsdirect.com

"Every Thing Looks Better In The Right Light."
Old 10-05-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Educator

Hot

Hi James, I am impressed with your lighting website: www.integralighting.com It's visually one of the best I've seen. Very inviting, professional, sophisticated and packed with pertinent information for your target market.

It would be interesting to find an accurate comparison chart on wattage and luminous intensity (candela) between the LED, incandescent, and halogen bulb types. If you come across one you might consider posting it here, it would be really interesting to see the differences side by side.

The Best of Success to you in the emerging LED market, your going to have some "bright" times ahead.
Veteran Member

Hi Steve.

I have not come across any type of comparison table that shows candela comparisons between LED and Incandescent/Halogen lamps but I will look around for something.

The critical metrics when comparing lamps (light bulbs) are the intensity, colour output (chromacity), CRI (Colour Rendition Index) and then the photometrics (beam spread, shape, etc) of the lamp.

LED lamps generally meter their light output/intensity in Lumens. A typical 20W Halogen MR16 lamp produces 220 - 230 Lumens. A typical 35W Halogen MR16 Lamp produces 320 - 330 Lumens. Knowing this you can quickly quickly compare the output of LED lamps to their halogen counterparts. When you read the numbers and see that a LED MR16 lamp is producing only 100 lumens and yet the claim is that it replaces a 35W Halogen source... well you get the picture.

Colour output is also critical when comparing lamps. A incandescent lamp burns at about 2500K, a quality halogen lamp will burn between 2700 and 3000 K, a cool white florescent lamp is about 4000K. As the colour temperature increases the light output gets cooler (more blue) looking. We here in N. America are conditioned to appreciate warm white lamps in our residential and commercial applications. Colour temperatures of 4000K + are generally not acceptable to most as the output is just too cool looking. When it comes to LED lamps this is important to remember! I have seen some LED lamps that claim to be warm white but produce colour temperatures of 5000K! By producing a cool light the manufacturers are able to boost light output levels, thereby offering high lumen output lamps, but you would not like the colour of these in your home I assure you. Truly warm white (2700-3000K) LEDs are produced using phosphors that coat the cool blue LED chips. As the short waveform light comes off of the LED chip, it excites the phosphors that then radiate a warmer and more full spectrum light out wards. This is what gives us a high brightness, warm white LED lamp. However the net effect of using the phosphors is a reduction in intensity. That is why a LED lamp that is 3000K and 6W will produce fewer lumens than a 4000K 6W LED lamp.

The CRI of the light source is also critical. The colour rendition index measures how accurately the light beam renders (reflects off of) colours. It is a 0 to 100 scale and the higher the CRI the more accurate and better quality the lamp is at reflecting colours accurately. CRI above 80 is quite good and an excellent benchmark to look for.

Before you go buying any LED lamps I would ensure you have access to their specifications. You want to be able to make real world comparisons before you go spending money.

Look for: Luminous Intensity (lumens), Colour Temperature, CRI, Photometrics, (spot, narrow flood, flood, wide flood are examples and there should be a graphic that indicates how the beam spread will affect light levels at various distances from the source) L70 (a measure of the lamp life), and junction temperature (the temperature that the chips are exposed to during operation, measured at their junction between the LED and the circuit board)

There is a LOT to understand when comparing HB LED (High Brightness) lamps to their Incandescent/Halogen counterparts. Fortunately, the bottom feeders in the market are slowing dying off as the large mainstream lamp manufacturers bring on more and more LED product. But just because a product carries a recognizable name brand, don't assume it will be effective! I just saw some new Philips LED lamps at the Home Depot and by reading the few specifications supplied realized that they would barely outperform a 10W Halogen lamp! The proof is in the numbers.

If anyone wants a full specification for my line of LED lamps, they can see it on line at www.ledlightsdirect.com

Any questions, just ask.
LED Lights Direct Inc.

www.integralighting.com
www.ledlightsdirect.com

"Every Thing Looks Better In The Right Light."
Old 10-06-2009 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Educator

Video

Hey James, Very informative post, thank you for the in-depth knowledge you bring to this forum. I also searched for a comparison chart and could not locate one, but I did find an interesting YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4I9O1tQg4
Old 02-19-2011 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

jamaicabraden is on a distinguished road

i always see to it that i bought the best item in the market. regarding bulbs, i suggest checking out Kichler Lighting website.
Old 03-27-2011 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

Default Re: Noma low voltage led bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabraden View Post
i always see to it that i bought the best item in the market. regarding bulbs, i suggest checking out Kichler Lighting website.
Kichler is a manufacturer of landscape lighting fixtures. They may offer some types of lamps (bulbs) on their website but Kichler does not manufacture any lamps.

For the very best in LED lamps, all designed specifically for use in Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Systems, I would encourage you to visit www.illumicaregroup.com You can buy directly from their webstore, if you are a contractor, be sure to sign up for an account.
Old 04-19-2011 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

markdavis709 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I am reutilizing the case of the garden light to insert a 12 volt, 60 mA circuit and would like to use either the solar panel and/or light detecting resistor to turn off the circuit during the day. I tried using the LDR first with an NPN transistor and NPN Darlington but it would only decrease the current from 60 mA to around 30 mA. I then starting working with the 3 volt, 30 microamp solar panel with a PNP transistor, but couldn't drive the transistor into saturation with the panel.
Please reply back with your suggestion guys on what should I do?
__________________________________________________ ____
Looking for good outdoor lights: Garden Lighting and Outdoor Garden Lighting
Old 06-07-2011 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

rickyray is on a distinguished road

Does anybody know where to get 12 volt LED white bulbs that fit the hi-intensity lights sold at Sams club. They are the same ones that fit the Noma garden lights. They are .375w or .5w with a bi-pin plug in
Old 07-27-2011 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

landscape lighting is on a distinguished road

How has the led outdoor lighting system held up for you? I am looking to purchase something similar and wanted to know how much upkeep I would be looking at if I got it. I don't really want to do to much.
Old 04-16-2012 - Noma low voltage led bulbs - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Contributing Member

directlight is on a distinguished road

Low voltage LED bulbs are great for conserving energy and at the same time is best for a high bright lighting.