Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Specialties > Fire Alarm Systems
Search Voltage Talk          

Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?

“CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!”

Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009 - Potential Death Trap - Fire Alarm Systems - Voltage Talk forum

Fast_Eddie is on a distinguished road
Question Potential Death Trap

I was wondering if anyone has heard/knows anything about these alarm systems which have two way communications with the monitoring station.

A few weeks ago we had a fire in a residence which spread very fast from the garage into the attic and when the F/D arrived on scene one person could not be accounted for, so the F/D initiated a search of the burning house.
Here is what happened; The F/D goes into thick black smoke (no visibility) trying to find any victims. As they enter they hear someone, "Hello, Hello, and try to locate the voice. Well they found the source and it was the monitoring company speaking Thru the keypad/controller. I was told by the F/D that they thought someone was in need of help, naturally under the circumstances so would I. They had put themselves into a dangerous situation and this incident made it worse! Apparently the monitoring company never identified themselves.

Is there any codes in effect to prevent this from happening or do the monitoring companies have a protocol for this scenario?
Is this not really a problem, just an isolated case?

Feel free to comment!
Old 04-05-2009 - Potential Death Trap - Fire Alarm Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Contributing Member

Sir Flannel is on a distinguished road

Well, I can understand the concern, but wasn't there someone unaccounted for in the residence? Isn't that what caused the entry? Did they find the person who was missing? Had the alarm company been on the two way for long, or did it start after the F/D made entry? What about the local ordinance? Does it require two way communications? If so, for which alarms, or does it not specify? I came up with more questions that answers myself, but I need more information
Old 04-06-2009 - Potential Death Trap - Fire Alarm Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Super Moderator

Security101 is on a distinguished road

Sir Flannel's questions are all good ones.

If they believed from outside info that someone may be inside, then within their protocol (FD's) they would enter if safe to do so and conduct a primary search.

If the monitoring co believed there was someone inside during an alarm and thought they could speak with them to assist, then they would, and should.

I think both sides did their job...

It is also a rare location where there is actually 2 way voice, so your thought that it maybe is not a big problem, is probably right on.

It was just an unfortunate set of circumstances - that time - but firefighters run into those kinda things all the time.

I would be curious to listen to the tape's from the monitoring co to see how they acted and also to see if they were even able to hear the firefighters (as they would be mumbled at best in full turnout and breathing apparatus).

If the monitoring co could detect they were FF's then they should have announced what they were doing (IMO)

Jim

James Cofield
Owner
Assured Security Agency
23355 County Road 26
Elkhart Indiana 46517
Direct: (574) 202-3473

Alternate: www.sendthepolice.com
Email: jim [at] sendthepolice.com
Burglary, Fire, Life Safety Systems
CCTV, PERS, GPS, Access Control

Design, Sales, Service and Installation