Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Specialties > Lighting Systems - General > Outdoor Lighting Systems
Search Voltage Talk          

Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?

“CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!”

Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008 - Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last? - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

JSLDesign & Integra Works is on a distinguished road
Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last?

I know the Ushio 10w/32Deg. Halogen MR16 lamp has its issues. I have always found them to prematurely burn out. (under 1000 hours usually) And I know many others have had the same experiences.

However: Are their any tricks to getting this lamp to actually perform to spec? I have to go and change out about 6 tomorrow (again - changed this past June) and the client is not happy.

I am considering installing BABs with a piece of screen in front to cut down on the intensity. I would prefer to get the Ushio to last though.

Thanks.
LED Lights Direct Inc.

www.integralighting.com
www.ledlightsdirect.com

"Every Thing Looks Better In The Right Light."
Old 12-10-2008 - Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last? - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Contributing Member

Gambino High Performance is on a distinguished road

Operate them at a lower voltage. High 10 to very low 11's will help a little. This is very easy to "dial in" when using a trans that has .5 V power outputs. You'll still be chasing your tail though on this lamp. The lamp is an overpriced pc of junk. I switched a long while ago to BAB's with corrective lenses to harness the output.
Veteran Member

Thanks Mike. You mention a corrective lens in front of a BAB to "harness" (reduce?) the output. What lens is this? I only know of a handfull of optical lenses that change the shape & pattern of the light output. (Frost, Linear, Spread, etc)

Have a great day.
LED Lights Direct Inc.

www.integralighting.com
www.ledlightsdirect.com

Contributing Member

white flashed opal. It's available from Abrisa lenses. I can't give you an exact percentage that it cuts the lamp brightness but it does a pretty good job. I'll guestimate and say around 35%. It does widen the beam, soften and take any harshness out of the lamp. Color rendition is pretty good. Give it a shot. It has worked for me. Just about standard equipment for me when illuminating light colored walls, statues, patios etc. Anytime I need to downplay brightness without using a dimmer.
Chris J
(Please Register It's FREE!)

I posted this on the other site, but I'll post it here as well: You can always install a typical bi-pin lamp into an MR16 based fixture. You may need to increase the wattage to get the desired effect for obvious reasons (no reflector) but the results can be quite exceptional for low lumen requirements.
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I posted this on the other site, but I'll post it here as well: You can always install a typical bi-pin lamp into an MR16 based fixture. You may need to increase the wattage to get the desired effect for obvious reasons (no reflector) but the results can be quite exceptional for low lumen requirements.
Good advice if the fixture is painted white inside or has a high gloss chrome reflector. Otherwise if it's raw brass , bronze, verde, etc. it will pick up the color of whatever the interior of the fixture is which may or may not be a problem depending upon application. If it's Nightscaping's socket you have to specify either the bi pin or the MR at least that's the way it used to be as their sockets wouldn't accomodate both lamps. Guess you could always use the G-6 which is an MR-16 capsule with no reflector though. I haven't had much luck with the G-4 or G-6 for lamp life though.
Chris J

I think you missed my point Mike. I'm just saying if your looking for just a "bit" of light, then using the MR based fixture with a non reflector lamp sometimes does the trick instead of trying to lower the wattage of the MR lamp. As was mentioned, if you go too low on the MR wattage, the problems with failure and quality lamps becomes a problem. Keep the same wattage (maybe) just eliminate the reflector if your trying to get really subtle. Sometimes it's a good fit for the problem, other times it's not. Just passing on ideas. Then again, I think I may have missed your point!

Last edited by Chris J; 12-10-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: read it again
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I think you missed my point Mike. I'm just saying if your looking for just a "bit" of light, then using the MR based fixture with a non reflector lamp sometimes does the trick instead of trying to lower the wattage of the MR lamp. As was mentioned, if you go too low on the MR wattage, the problems with failure and quality lamps becomes a problem. Keep the same wattage (maybe) just eliminate the reflector if your trying to get really subtle. Sometimes it's a good fit for the problem, other times it's not. Just passing on ideas.
I know. I said it was Good Advice.
There should be a period after the Good Advice for clarity and then a new sentence.
Old 12-11-2008 - Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last? - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Chris J

Wow! Isn't it amazing how a simple "period" can change the appearance of a message? Lesson to be learned here for all to see: You can't read emotion into a text or email message.! I never thought you were being offensive, but the period did change the message. Cheers Dude!
Old 12-11-2008 - Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last? - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Contributing Member

eskerlite is on a distinguished road

Go ahead and say how much they suck but sometimes a mr-11 and mr-8 10 watt or 20 flood can be used in an mr-16 fixture and be less intense than an mr-16 bab. The lamps are more expensive and less hour life than mr-16 but are 5 times better than a 921 wedge or 93/1156 bayonet lamp which I think would be the next step down.
Sean C.
Veteran Member

No one was talking about putting any Wedge Base or SCB lamps in place of MR16s as that would require changing out the socket. The topic was centered around techniques to make the USHIO 10W MR16 last longer, or how to soften the output of a 20W lamp to make it emulate a 10W.
LED Lights Direct Inc.

www.integralighting.com
www.ledlightsdirect.com

Old 12-15-2008 - Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last? - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum

Accent Outdoor Lighting is on a distinguished road
Default G4 bi-pin

I hear some of you have had issues with the G4 bi-pin, but I have never had issues with this lamp. Maybe I have been fortunate, I use a Ushio. It has been one of my least problematic lamps, but I use very little of them and don't do the numbers that most of you do.

Billy keeps telling me I need to make the switch to the GE for my MR-16's, but I am pretty loyal to my distributor and he sells only Ushio. Where are you getting the GE's Billy?

Burt Wilson
Accent Outdoor Lighting
Old 12-15-2008 - Ushio 1032 Lamp... Tricks to make it last? - Outdoor Lighting Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

Integrity Outdoor Lightin is on a distinguished road

No I told you the sylvania tru aim titans. Email or text me about the source. With that said I might be headed back to ushio eurostars and run them below 11.5. I know Mike will jump in with the 12v here but I find low to mid 11's to be an excellent comprimise of lamp life and output while still maintaining color.

I have a bunch of fixtures with a white haze inside. It rained me out today before I could service it.

Billy Bradford
Lighting Designer and Installer
Integrity Outdoor Lighting
Serving Southern Mississippi

Office: 601.319.7149
www.IntegrityOutdoorLighting.com
Creative Lighting Designs and Installations
Contributing Member

2 bucks per lamp makes all the difference in the world. That's all we are talking about between the cost of GE and lesser lamps. I will run my MR-16's in the high 11 volt range when I'm lighting large trees or shooting long distances and output is crucial. Low to mid 11's when it's not. Titans just aint what they used to be when they went to cover glass only. Pity isn't it.
Veteran Member

Integrity Outdoor Lightin is on a distinguished road

The ushios seem to have a warmer out put and the sylvanias seem to have a whiter light.

With t

Billy Bradford
Lighting Designer and Installer
Integrity Outdoor Lighting
Serving Southern Mississippi

Office: 601.319.7149
www.IntegrityOutdoorLighting.com
Creative Lighting Designs and Installations
Veteran Member

I am 100% with Mike G. on Halogen MR16 lamp selection. The GE Precise Constant Colour is the best on the market, bar none.

The Sylvania Titan used to be a decent choice, but about 2 years ago they reverted to CG (coverd glass) only and dropped more then half of the SKUs in their lineup. The GE lamps come in all outputs and beam spreads from 20W / 8 Deg EZX to 71W / 42 Deg EYC.

Read the attached spec. sheet on the GE Precise Constant Colour.
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPro.../r00097v-1.pdf

They are the best. Remember that you are in the lighting business... you owe it to your clients and to your reputation to use only the best lamps available in your systems. After all, it is the lamp that does the work. You wouldnt put a Kia engine into a Mercedes would you?
LED Lights Direct Inc.

www.integralighting.com
www.ledlightsdirect.com

Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLDesign & Integra Works View Post
I am 100% with Mike G. on Halogen MR16 lamp selection. The GE Precise Constant Colour is the best on the market, bar none.

The Sylvania Titan used to be a decent choice, but about 2 years ago they reverted to CG (coverd glass) only and dropped more then half of the SKUs in their lineup. The GE lamps come in all outputs and beam spreads from 20W / 8 Deg EZX to 71W / 42 Deg EYC.

Read the attached spec. sheet on the GE Precise Constant Colour.
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPro.../r00097v-1.pdf

They are the best. Remember that you are in the lighting business... you owe it to your clients and to your reputation to use only the best lamps available in your systems. After all, it is the lamp that does the work. You wouldnt put a Kia engine into a Mercedes would you?
well stated