Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Specialties > Fire Alarm Systems
Search Voltage Talk          
Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?


Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2009 - Fire vs. Burglar Installations - Fire Alarm Systems - Voltage Talk forum
joler joler is offline
New Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Rep Power: 0
joler is on a distinguished road
Default Fire vs. Burglar Installations

What is the difference in codes, insurance and regulations in dealing with a Fire Panel over an Burglar Panel (besides lack of training)? Can 1 panel handle both types of systems? In commercial installations, does one company usually handle both installs, or are they split up to different contractors. The job is for a large church, and my company currently only installs burglar Panels.

Essentially, I am trying to determine what types of costs and liability my company will have if we attempt to pursue Fire Panels. I feel like without training, we do not need to attempt this type of work, but I am curious what separates burg companies from fire companies when it comes to alarms.

Any help, advice, assistance, or information anyone can provide would be most helpful as I am new to the industry.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009 - Fire vs. Burglar Installations - Fire Alarm Systems - Voltage Talk forum
Sparky49's Avatar
Sparky49 Sparky49 is offline
Chief Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 431
Rep Power: 11
Sparky49 has a spectacular aura aboutSparky49 has a spectacular aura about

That's a lot of questions there but I'll give it a try.

Fire systems have to be installed per the National Fire Code NFPA 72, your state Fire Code which will be based either on the Uniform Fire Code (UFC) or the International Fire Code (IFC), and any local ordinances which may or may not exist. If you tell me where this project is located, I can help you out a little more with this.

Basically, your state code will tell you where, when and what type of equipment will need to be installed and the NFPA 72 will tell you how.

A large church is an "A" occupancy which requires pull stations at every exit unless the building is sprinklered in which case all but 1 station is waived. If the building holds more than 1000 occupants, a voice evacuation system will also be required. Smoke detectors may be required in some areas if there are Smoke/Fire Dampers installed in the HVAC system. Duct smokes will be required on all air handlers over 2000 CFM.

Combination burg/fire panels can be used for some jobs if allowed by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) as long as it is UL approved for Commercial Fire. I don't think that it would be suitable for your particular job, though, especially if voice evac is required.

Before any work is started, a set of fire alarm plans will need to be produced by you and approved by the AHJ of the city where the job is.

I hope this helps you get started.

Gary Hutcheson
Systems Engineer

City-Wide Electronic Systems, Inc.
440 Highland Avenue
El Cajon, CA 92020
Office: (619) 444-0219 x117
Fax: (619) 444-9130
Website: cwesi.com
Email: ghutcheson(at)cwesi(dot)com

California State Licensed Fire & Life Safety Electrician
NICET III Certified

Last edited by Sparky49; 05-08-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

The time now is 02:48 AM.