Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Administration > Accounting
Search Voltage Talk          
Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?


Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2009 - 2009 Tax Deadlines - Accounting - Voltage Talk forum
Steve Dale's Avatar
Steve Dale Steve Dale is offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia and Florida
Posts: 369
Rep Power: 11
Steve Dale is on a distinguished road
Warning 2009 Tax Deadlines

It's time to file various tax returns once again. Among the tax deadlines you may be required to meet in 2009 are the following:

2009 Tax lines:

Jan. 15, 2009

Fourth quarter estimated tax payment. It's due on this date, but you may delay making this payment (using form 1040-ES) until Jan. 31 if you file your 2008 return (Form 1040) and pay any tax due by Jan. 31.

Feb. 2, 2009

W-2, 1098 and 1099 forms. These forms should have arrived. Issuers are required to send them out by Jan. 31, which is a Saturday. So, the Internal Revenue Service gives them until Feb. 2. If you don't get them, contact the issuer.

Tax information you send to others. If you are required to issue Form W-2 or Form 1099 to anyone such as an employee, a household employee or an independent contractor, mail the forms by this date.

Tax return due. If you missed your fourth quarter estimated tax deadline on Jan. 15, you can still avoid a penalty if you file your tax return by this date and pay any tax due.

Feb. 15, 2009

File new W-4 forms. If you were exempt from income tax withholding for 2008, you must file a new Form W-4 by today to continue your exemption for 2009.

March 16, 2009

Corporations. File a 2008 calendar-year income tax return (Form 1120 or 1120-A) and pay any tax due. You can apply for an automatic six-month extension with Form 7004. If you file for an extension, you must also make an estimated tax payment.

S corporations. File a 2008 calendar-year tax return (Form 1120S) and pay any tax due. Send each shareholder a copy of Schedule K-1 (Form 1120S) or a substitute Schedule K-1. You can apply for an automatic six-month extension with Form 7004, but you must pay any tax due.

S corporation election. File Form 2553 to choose to be treated as an S corporation beginning with calendar year 2009. If Form 2553 is filed late, S treatment will begin with calendar year 2010.

Electing large partnerships. Provide each partner with a copy of Schedule K-1 (Form 1065-B). This due date is effective for the first March 15 following the close of the partnership's tax year and applies even if the partnership seeks an extension of time.

April 15, 2009

Tax return due. Your 2008 income tax return is due, unless you file for an extension until Oct. 15.

File for extension. If you want an automatic extension of time to file your 2008 tax return, file Form 4868. Filing the form gives you until Oct. 15 to file your return. To avoid a penalty, however, be sure to pay any tax that was due on April 15.

Individual Retirement Accounts or Roth IRAs. This is the deadline for making contributions to IRAs or Roth IRAs for tax year 2008.

Estimated tax payment. Your first-quarter estimated tax payment for 2009 is due.

State tax returns. If you are required to file a state tax return, it is probably due - but check with your state to be certain. Many states automatically extend the filing time for those who have filed for a federal extension.

Household employers. If you paid cash wages of $1,500 or more in 2008 to a household employee, file Schedule H (Form 1040) with your income tax return and report any employment taxes by April 15.

June 15, 2009

Filing deadline. If you're a U.S. citizen or resident alien living and working (or on military duty) outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico, file Form 1040 and pay any tax, interest and penalties due. You can file for an extension until Oct. 15.

Estimated taxes due. Your second-quarter estimated tax payment (using Form 1040-ES) for 2009 is due.

Sept. 15, 2009

Estimated tax due. Your third-quarter estimated tax payment (using Form 1040-ES) for 2009 is due

Oct. 15, 2009

Income tax return due. Your 2008 income tax return is due if you filed an extension request using Form 4868.

Dec. 31, 2009

Deduction deadline. The last date to make payments that can be deducted from your 2009 return.

Keogh plan deadline. The last date to establish a Keogh plan so you can deduct a Keogh plan contribution on your 2009 return.

Steve Dale
Your Success Coach

Office: (800) 743-8027

Website: www.SteveDale.com

Email: Steve@SteveDale.com

State certified licensed instructor who teaches "Strategies for Success" workshops in the States of Georgia and Florida for electrical licensing exam preparation, continuing education, and BASA/FASA certification.

Florida State License: EF20000579
Georgia State License: LVU405609
North Carolina License: 269-SP-LV

Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

The time now is 09:05 AM.