Voltage Talk Forum Home Page Voltage Talk Forum Home Page    National Low Voltage Contractors Association Home Page
Go Back   VoltageTalk.com > Administration > Job Site Safety
Search Voltage Talk          

Forgot Login Information    Problem Logging In?

“CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!”

Register Here Search Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008 - Ladder height requirement? - Job Site Safety - Voltage Talk forum
James Woods
(Please Register It's FREE!)

Question Ladder height requirement?

Last week I was at a construction site mounting a CCTV camera for surveillance of a parking lot at a new mall. I was using a 20' ladder which was laying over the top edge of the roof by about a foot or so. This foreman came over to me and told me to get down and go get a longer ladder. I said why and he said I should know why?! He told me if I did not get a longer ladder don't come back. I was pretty upset but did not argue with him. Does anyone know if there is some kind of ladder height requirement on a construction site? Or was this guy just harassing me for no good reason?

Thanks,
JW
Old 11-03-2008 - Ladder height requirement? - Job Site Safety - Voltage Talk forum
Veteran Member

ProIT has a spectacular aura aboutProIT has a spectacular aura about
Default Ladder height

I believe your ladder should have gone at least 3' beyond the top of the building. There's also a 4 to 1 rule based on where the base of your ladder is in reference to the building. If the wall is 20' high, the ladder should go over it by 3' & the base of it 5' out. 20/4=5. There is a rule for it. You did the right thing by not argueing & just getting a longer ladder.

JR
Contributing Member

ABLE1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProIT View Post
I believe your ladder should have gone at least 3' beyond the top of the building. There's also a 4 to 1 rule based on where the base of your ladder is in reference to the building. If the wall is 20' high, the ladder should go over it by 3' & the base of it 5' out. 20/4=5. There is a rule for it. You did the right thing by not argueing & just getting a longer ladder.

JR
Not to start a argument but lets assume that the building is a 10 story and ground to roof line is 100 feet. I now need a 103 foot ladder???

I think that before I go out and spend dollars on a longer ladder I would need to see something in the form of a OSHA chapter and verse first.

Anyone have such reference??? Inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks,

Les
Veteran Member

ProIT has a spectacular aura aboutProIT has a spectacular aura about
Default Ladder height

I'd hate to be on the ladder going up 100' but rules are rules.

Per OSHA - When portable ladders are used for access to an upper landing surface, the side rails must extend at least 3 feet (.9 m) above the upper landing surface. When such an extension is not possible, the ladder must be secured, and a grasping device such as a grab rail must be provided to assist workers in mounting and dismounting the ladder. A ladder extension must not deflect under a load that would cause the ladder to slip off its support.

Non-self-supporting ladders must be used at an angle where the horizontal distance from the top support to the foot of the ladder is approximately one-quarter of the working length of the ladder. Wood job-made ladders with spliced side rails must be used at an angle where the horizontal distance is one-eighth the working length of the ladder.

In case you can't get to sleep, here's more on ladder safety.

http://www.nmsu.edu/safety/programs/...r&lad_saf.html
Contributing Member

ABLE1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProIT View Post
I'd hate to be on the ladder going up 100' but rules are rules.

Per OSHA - When portable ladders are used for access to an upper landing surface, the side rails must extend at least 3 feet (.9 m) above the upper landing surface. When such an extension is not possible, the ladder must be secured, and a grasping device such as a grab rail must be provided to assist workers in mounting and dismounting the ladder. A ladder extension must not deflect under a load that would cause the ladder to slip off its support.
The key here is the words in BLUE. As I read the OP I was understanding that he was mounting a camera on a wall of the building and not going onto the top of the wall. So I still question the requirement.

Thanks for the OSHA input. It is getting easier to see what might be going on. I can understand the requirement for the 3' above the wall if you are going onto the roof. It is much safer.

Later,

Les
Old 11-04-2008 - Ladder height requirement? - Job Site Safety - Voltage Talk forum
Educator

Steve Dale is on a distinguished road
Default Great point from both ProIT's and ABLE1...

Hey Guys,

Great point from both ProIT and ABLE1. You guys know your OSHA Standards for the Construction Industry. JW does not tell us whether he is accessing the roof or not but apparently the foreman thought he did or might. In any case I believe the foreman was correct and was probably referring to the 3ft. overhang OSHA standard 1926.1053(b)(1). It would have been nice of the foreman to at least tell JW the reason he believed he was in error. If JW was not going to access the roof he could have lowered the ladder to under the roof top to not be in violation of the OSHA standard. I personal always secure the ladder at its top because I could easily get off balance and push the ladder away from under me when leaning over while working on the camera.

Here is the OSHA Standard 1926.1053(b)(1): When portable ladders are used for access to an upper landing surface, the ladder side rails shall extend at least 3 feet (.9 m) above the upper landing surface to which the ladder is used to gain access; or, when such an extension is not possible because of the ladder's length, then the ladder shall be secured at its top to a rigid support that will not deflect, and a grasping device, such as a grabrail, shall be provided to assist employees in mounting and dismounting the ladder. In no case shall the extension be such that ladder deflection under a load would, by itself, cause the ladder to slip off its support.

Here is the OSHA website for OSHA Standard 1926: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owas...rt_number=1926

Last edited by Steve Dale; 11-05-2008 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-05-2008 - Ladder height requirement? - Job Site Safety - Voltage Talk forum
James Woods
(Please Register It's FREE!)

I was on the roof when he called for me to come down.

I was actually on the roof at the time the foreman called to me to come down. Sorry I was not clear on that point. I was running the CATV cable over the top of the roof into conduit that was provided by the electrician.

When I returned the next day I had a 25' ladder but the foreman was no where to be seen.

Thanks to all for the great information. I'll keep it OSHA safe from now on!

Last edited by James Woods; 11-05-2008 at 02:48 PM.